1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Hen, and Bantam?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Zinmaker, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Zinmaker

Zinmaker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I started out with 4 pullets, lost 3 to a raccoon; a friend gave me 2 Belgian d Anvers bantams because my lone surviving White Rock looked lonely. Was gone when the birds were introduced to the Plymouth White Rock about a month ago just after the raccoon incident, (I think the WR was still in shock over losing her buddies), so might have welcomed the company. Didn’t see how she behaved, they just through the two bantams in the coop, they all three seem to be doing fine. Even though the bantams are only ¼ the size of the White Rock. Since then I purchased 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Golden Sex Link month old chicks. I divided the coop with some chicken wire. The chicks are about 1/3 the size of the Bantams, I have taken one chick out of the coop and tried to introduce her to the existing flock a couple of days ago, but the bantams immediately attacked the little chick. (no harm done was able to fend off the bantams quickly) I am thinking of waiting till the chicks reach the at least ½ the size of the Bantams before trying to introduce the chicks again, or should I wait until the chicks are half the size of my White Rock? Thanks for any help.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would wait until they are at least the same size as the bantams. I waited until my pullets were about 14 weeks old before I made introductions to the established flock of standards. At 14 weeks, the old standards and pullets were all about the same overall size (though the pullets were much thinner). I think any time sooner than that is going to be just asking for trouble.

Good luck.

3. Zinmaker

Zinmaker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Quote:Thanks, I forgot to mention my large pullet is 17 weeks old and hopefully getting ready to lay some eggs within the next month, so will wait until my current chicks are closer to the size of the Hen vs the Bantams size. I'll just have to consider it payback to the little trouble maker bantams for picking on the chicks once they outgrow them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by