Chicks hens or roosters??

lilywall

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
I have purchased 3 chicks from my a local feed store and I was not informed if they were hens or roosters. Do chicks from feed stores tend to be hens or are some roosters. I'm just worried because my town ordinance is only hens and you can own no roosters.

I would call the feed store and ask if their chicks are sexed or straight run. Straight run chicks are mixed male and female and sexed chicks are usually female (but its not a 100% guarantee). There is a thread somewhere on here where you can post pictures of your chicks around 5 weeks old and someone should be able to tell you of you have boys or girls. Good luck!

I called the store (Orscheln farm and home)and they said 90% of them are hens but sometimes there are mistakes. I'm not sure if you can tell if they are hens or not, but I have a picture just in case someone can tell

Most of the time feed stores will sell hens, but the problem is that when chicks are born, they can't guarantee gender. There are very few stores that sell rooster chicks, so you have a high chance of hens, but no promises

Quote:
If you went thru them, you are probably going to have two roosters. 75% of the birds I purchased from them this year (advertised as pullets) were actually cockerels. They try hard to pass the buck and blame the hatchery, but they know about the issue and still have them labeled pullets and selling for premium pullet price. I personally will never buy from there again.

Thank you all so much! I've been very worried about what they are because roosters are against my city ordinance and I would hate to have to get rid of them, this has been very helpful!

Quote:
If you went thru them, you are probably going to have two roosters. 75% of the birds I purchased from them this year (advertised as pullets) were actually cockerels. They try hard to pass the buck and blame the hatchery, but they know about the issue and still have them labeled pullets and selling for premium pullet price. I personally will never buy from there again.
What state are you from?

Back
Top Bottom