Chicks hens or roosters??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilywall, May 4, 2017.

1. lilywall

lilywall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    I have purchased 3 chicks from my a local feed store and I was not informed if they were hens or roosters. Do chicks from feed stores tend to be hens or are some roosters. I'm just worried because my town ordinance is only hens and you can own no roosters.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Did it say straight run on the bin they were in?

3. lilywall

Apr 29, 2017
    I don't rember

4. Eggzilla

Eggzilla New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Florida
    I would call the feed store and ask if their chicks are sexed or straight run. Straight run chicks are mixed male and female and sexed chicks are usually female (but its not a 100% guarantee). There is a thread somewhere on here where you can post pictures of your chicks around 5 weeks old and someone should be able to tell you of you have boys or girls. Good luck!

5. lilywall

Apr 29, 2017
    I called the store (Orscheln farm and home)and they said 90% of them are hens but sometimes there are mistakes. I'm not sure if you can tell if they are hens or not, but I have a picture just in case someone can tell

6. lilywall

Apr 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. Kwimmer78

Kwimmer78 Just Hatched

May 5, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Most of the time feed stores will sell hens, but the problem is that when chicks are born, they can't guarantee gender. There are very few stores that sell rooster chicks, so you have a high chance of hens, but no promises

8. Red5

Red5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Quote:If you went thru them, you are probably going to have two roosters. 75% of the birds I purchased from them this year (advertised as pullets) were actually cockerels. They try hard to pass the buck and blame the hatchery, but they know about the issue and still have them labeled pullets and selling for premium pullet price. I personally will never buy from there again.

9. lilywall

Apr 29, 2017
    Thank you all so much! I've been very worried about what they are because roosters are against my city ordinance and I would hate to have to get rid of them, this has been very helpful!

10. lilywall

Apr 29, 2017
    What state are you from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by