Jelli_Sprout

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
I have 3 bantam silkies that are about a week old in a brooder about 3.5ft×1ft, I am using a heat lamp, and I noticed they are huddling in a corner. I know that when they are lumped together it usually means they are cold, but they are not sitting directly under the light. Unfortunately, I do not have a thermometer just yet, but I have been using a temp gun. Under the lamp the floor temp is about 100-102°F and where they are laying it is about 87-92°F. Their average body temperature ranges from 90-98°F.

I cannot tell if they are too cold or too hot. Where they are cuddling is not in the coldest or hottest spot. I was wondering if I should position the lamp somewhere else or the move the tank closer/further away. The bottom of the tank to the bulb of the lamp is probably about 2-3ft. I have it covering only one half because I figured if they were too hot they could go into the furthers corner, but they rarely sit there. I was worried about overheating because one of them is drinking a decent amount of water and ocassionally has loose, wet, sticky stool (twice within 20min this past evening)

The circled area is where they are usually huddled together.

Attachments

• 20210614_023920.jpg
    20210614_023920.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 93
I think as long as there is a place for them to go,,, (closer, or further) from heatlamp, it should be fine. They may have found their IDEAL SPOT, AND LIKE IT. :idunno
Get a thermometer, and lay it on the brooder floor, for more precise readings.
one of these will work,
1623654072343.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I think as long as there is a place for them to go,,, (closer, or further) from heatlamp, it should be fine. They may have found their IDEAL SPOT, AND LIKE IT. :idunno
Get a thermometer, and lay it on the brooder floor, for more precise readings.
one of these will work,
View attachment 2717610

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! I think since this is my first time raising chicks I'm really anxious lol. I will most definitely be buying a thermometer when the shops open up!

Just wanted to add this. The temperature should be lowered by 5°F every week. You can do it by physically raising the heat source, (further away) or having a dimmer switch in the lamp circuit.

I have 3 bantam silkies that are about a week old in a brooder about 3.5ft×1ft, I am using a heat lamp, and I noticed they are huddling in a corner. I know that when they are lumped together it usually means they are cold, but they are not sitting directly under the light. Unfortunately, I do not have a thermometer just yet, but I have been using a temp gun. Under the lamp the floor temp is about 100-102°F and where they are laying it is about 87-92°F. Their average body temperature ranges from 90-98°F.

I cannot tell if they are too cold or too hot. Where they are cuddling is not in the coldest or hottest spot. I was wondering if I should position the lamp somewhere else or the move the tank closer/further away. The bottom of the tank to the bulb of the lamp is probably about 2-3ft. I have it covering only one half because I figured if they were too hot they could go into the furthers corner, but they rarely sit there. I was worried about overheating because one of them is drinking a decent amount of water and ocassionally has loose, wet, sticky stool (twice within 20min this past evening)

The circled area is where they are usually huddled together.
This brooder seems to be a glass container? If so, the walls will be heating up very quickly and add to an overall rather sticky, overly hot and unhealthy climate in the brooder.

I think it best to switch to a big cardboardbox, cutting a window on one long side and covering it with chicken wire to allow for proper ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom