Chicks in brooder with very sharp beaks...should i trim?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmGirl21, Nov 5, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I have 5 bigger chicks in our bigger brooder & they all have very sharp pointy beaks. Should I need to trim them? or will they be fine. They are 4 banty mix chicks & 1 monster sex link(not pictured). I was only going to trim the pointy part off the end, nothing drastic.

Will constant or lack of trimming cause crossed beaks?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Personally, I would leave them alone. One would usually only trim if the beak was so long that the bird could not eat. And I have only seen that in adult birds.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    No no no! Don't trim their beaks! That would be like cutting off a person's hands. It's cruelty and only done in factory farming where the birds are so crowded and bored they peck at each other and is considered a terrible thing to do to a bird.

Their beak is for:

preening/cleaning their feathers
    self-protection
    slurping worms out of wormholes
    scratching for bugs
    pecking food out of the feeder
    drinking water
    and umpteen other activities necessary to a chicken.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  4. Do not worry too much. Baby chicks rarely go cannibal on ya. They may peck at each other, but it is usually to make someone get out of the food bowl. Take it easy, you have a purdy clutch there.

5. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Thank you everyone. I've only ever had to trim a beak once & still only trimmed a tiny bit of the excess off. she was about a half inch past the bottom & it was starting to look not right. I would NEVER debeak one of my birds!! i think its very disgusting and cruel. I only trim if its necessary. my little hen seemed much happier & had an easier time with her food after her trim too. only when necessary. thank you everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by