1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in eggs but didnt hatch...WHY?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by remme, Dec 10, 2013.

1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    I had several sizzles and blue jersey giant eggs incubating this past month. I have two hovabators with auto turners, fans and thermo/ hydrometers. I always keep the temperature between 99 and 101 and the humidity above 50%. On day 14 I candled the eggs and tossed the ones with no development. Come the 20th day several sizzles hatched. Another few hatched on the 21st day and then NOTHING. I let the incubator sit, maintaining the heat and humidity, for a few extra days with 0 results. On the 26th day I stopped. When I removed the eggs out of sheer curiosity I candled and then cracked them open. Low and behold I had fully developed and feathered chicks inside, they just didn't hatch. My question is what did I do wrong? I kept the heat around 99.5 and the humidity after lock down never dropped below 60% but did spike to 80% on a few occasions. Was that too dry or too wet? I had one chick that piped but never fully hatched itself out so after I removed the first hatchlings(48 hrs later) I helped him out and the membrane in his shell seemed tough and leathery. I have a feeling I either had too much or not enough humidity at one point or another. This is only my second time trying to hatch from this incubator and I had one chick develop and not hatch on the first try. Im just curious because my other incubator is due to have a hatch Friday and I have some very expensive birds in there. I want to correct what I am doing wrong so this doesn't happen again. Thanks for all your input. Happy Holidays!

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I would say humidity too high before lockdown

3. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    Renee I understand you, i have the same problem with you, from about 7 brown eggs i put in the incubator,
    2 came out, the other one developed, tried to go out but failed, and another is in the same phase, the remaining have not yet shown signs of life

4. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    So this beggs the question what is the ideal humidity??? I have been told 40, 45,percent fir the first 18 days, then up to 60
    -65 for lockdown!

Any thoughts? I find this whole humidity stuff so frustrating!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I have had good luck with the Dry Incubation method.
    Day 1-18: Add as little water as possible. Rely on egg evaporation for humidity. Keep humidity above 25% and below 45%.
    Day 19-21: 65% humidity
    REMEMBER to have 2 or 3 hygrometers and thermometers. DO NOT rely on the built-in hygrometer and thermometer.

Complete information:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Here is a link for troubleshooting hatch failure:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

6. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I do best with no water till lockdown and 2 channels during lockdown in a still air hovabator. But I'm in s louisiana where there's always some humidity. I don't use any gauges just thermometer.

7. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    it is very very important to use multiple thermometers and hygrometers. (a hygrometer measures humidity)
    doing this 1 thing can be the difference between a successful hatch and not.

8. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I get about 90% average so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, thanks for the advise though the more stuff to monitor the more complicated ill just keep it simple.

9. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    yeah I just don't think that was good advice to give the poster in this case, where she is already having trouble. she should have multiple. :)

10. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Jmo but I believe people have a tendency to over complicate things like incubating. Why have x amount of thermometers and x amount of hydrometers when probably none are gonna show a consistent number between any 2 and if anything confuse and stress out someone trying to have a decent hatch? If multiple do dads works for you than that's cool but as I said I like to keep it simple. And like you said if they are having trouble I don't think adding devices are gonna make it less stressful. We learn as we go and once you figure out what works for you then success will happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by