Chicks in eggs chirping? {Help!!!}

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5Chickens, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    The hen got off her nest (of 7 eggs) and I just looked at the eggs and I heard chirping coming from the eggs. I put one up to my ear and I could hear a little tapping sound and chirping. How much longer till they hatch??

ETA: My son went out to the coop and took one of the eggs that had the pip hole (about the size of a small pencil eraser) and peeled back a bit more shell (so now the pip hole is 2x bigger). Will the chick be okay? I am worried now...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    if you can hear them chirping and pecking that means they have broken into the air sac and they should pip/hatch within 24 hours or 48 hours depends on how badly they want out ^_^

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    within 24hr if all goes well.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What floridachickhatcher said. [​IMG]

5. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Aww yay! This is my first time with chicks and my hen's first time hatching them on her own. If they dont hatch within 48 hours should I intervene?

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I'd hold off intervening. They'll probably do just fine. Some say that the ones that aren't strong enough to hatch on their own, won't thrive well even after you help. Let's just think positive thoughts that momma will do great and all the babies will get out just fine [​IMG]

7. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah as soon as she feels them pecking underneath her you should hear her clucking shes calling out to them and even pecking at them to help them out herself so you want to hold off and calico is right if you help them out its never a good thing cause if they die later on you will beat yourself up over what happened

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by