1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lonomakana, May 18, 2008.

1. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    I just got my new chicks (2 each of BR, RIR, and Ameraucana). Everyone is getting along so far. The feed store sure doesn't know how to make money, though. They ordered the chicks but didn't have any feeders, waterers, or..... starter crumble! For now, I'm grinding up layer pellets and supplementing with cockroaches and cane spiders, for protein. Is there anything else I should give the chicks that the layer pellets are missing? Sorry, no pics... but chicks are chicks are chicks... I'm using recycled paper mill waste for litter. The pack says its safe and made for animal litter. So far so good.

2. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    ALoha!! :-D
    the only problem I can think of with using layer pellets for your chicks is that the calcium levels would be too high, and would block up your chicks' digestive system.
    I f you are feeding bugs, I would also make sure you get your chicks some grit ~ just some parakeet sand or something in similar size, ( as long as it's clean) would work. Also, be very careful of damp/wet combo's with them if they are not getting medicated feed ~ that is how coccidiosis gets started. Hope this helps~ {:>)=
    ~Red

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Aloha fellow chicken lover in Hawaii! My chick's almost 6 weeks old and eats probably 99% chick mash and 1% whatever she gets roaming in the yard. Dirt, snails, weed seeds. [​IMG]

Are your babies in a brooder or coop? Post some pics, I'm curious. [​IMG]

4. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Thanks for the responses. I'll put some grit in. I have the chicks in a plastic storage container for now. It won't be too long before they'll need something bigger. After two or three weeks, I'm hoping that they won't need the heat lamp and I can put them in the coop. It doesn't get below 70 at night. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    The layer is okay for a few days until you get chick starter, but it can cause all sorts of problems by being too high in calcium. It can really mess up their bone formation.

6. ParadiseHawaii

ParadiseHawaii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Big Island
    Aloha from the Big Island.

My chicks are now almost 9 months old and giving lots of eggs. I sell about 5 doz. a week. I have 6 RIR's 6 EE's.

If all works out this Sunday I should be hatching out 9 more chicks. (Incubator)
    It sounds like you went to a Feed Store like the one I went to. Chicks but not much more.
    A 60 watt lite will work fine for heat. 90-95 degree's.

Good Luck

7. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    What's up "Paradise", I'm in Pa'auhau. I got my chicks from Hog Wild on friday. I now have starter, so I'm good to go. I noticed their poop going from runny pea soup to a little more firm. They seem healthy and happy. Their trying to jump out now, so I made a wire lid. Its so hot today that the chicks don't want the heat lamp at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by