Chicks in incubator soooo confused this hatch. Please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aliciaperez89, Oct 5, 2016.

1. aliciaperez89

aliciaperez89 New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Washington
    [​IMG][​IMG]So I had 22 eggs in the incubator (10 barbanter, 12 silkies. One day apart) about 7 hatched (7/10 barbanters) 48 hours ago. The other didn't even pip. So I took the live chicks out. Left the other eggs in an extra day, still no progress. I took them out, candled and saw no movement. I went to open them up to see and 5 were dead and 10 were still alive after I removed the air cell. I freed their beaks (3 I didn't free their beak as they are not in position to yet but were moving), wrapped air cell area with wet napkin and placed back in incubator and raised temp. (Their membrains were dry I'm assuming from when I took the other chickens out or because were on table to autopsy). 24 hours later all are still alive and chirping/moving but their blood vessels are still visible so I can't assist hatching. Any advice? They are show silkie chicks

Update- one is out of the shell but just laying there nearly alive. I gave it a bit of pedialight but no progress yet but still breathing. It's yolk is fully absorbed. Please adive on this chick and the ones still in eggs

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Here are the names of a few BYC members who could very likely help.

@AmyLynn2374 @drumstick diva @Sally Sunshine

Best of luck to you [​IMG]

3. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    If the membrane is dry, you need to increase your humidity, not the temp.... if the blood vessels are still active and in tact, the chick really isn't ready to hatch just yet.

Turn up the moisture! Add a wet sponge or a dish of water, a wet wash cloth....and then wait! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. aliciaperez89

aliciaperez89 New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Washington
    The moister is at 70-75 and has been. So far one hatched with assistance but is very weak idk if will live, and one more just hatched and is strong looks like. The rest died except 3 still alive in shells so far

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    For the entire incubation period?

When they finally get out, they sleep a lot, so just let it rest and keep watch! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. aliciaperez89

aliciaperez89 New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Washington
    [​IMG]Yeah it can't seem to stand up. Two have fluffed out (the weak one and a strong one who was pipped for 2 days and hatched day 25). One just hatched after being pipped 3 days also. It's day 26 one is still in the shell pipped only for 3 days now but still has veins visable. Still alive the rest pipped and died (6 pipped and stayed pipped no progress and died).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Wow, it's taking a long time for them to develop.... I wonder if your temp was too low? Did you do a calibration check on your gauges before you started?

Did you have any severe temperature drops?

8. aliciaperez89

aliciaperez89 New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    Washington
    The one that couldn't walk died :(. 3 are living now the last one came out of it's shell so fingers crossed for it to fluff out

9. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    [​IMG] I hope so too.... sorry about the little one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by