Chicks in January?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ernie G, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ernie G

Ernie G Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Anyone know where to buy chicks in January?

2. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    I'd check some of the online hatcheries, or Craig's list for local breeders.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX hatches year-round. http://www.idealpoultry.com/
    They have a lot more variety than most hatcheries, though many breeds are sold out until next year. They are having a special on Barred Rock pullets, Black Sex Link pullets, Rhode Island Red pullets, and assorted straight-run bantams right now.

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If you are worried about recieving a box of frozen chicks in the mail ( depending on where you live and how cold it gets) think about doing a wanted ad for chicks on craigs list, and having someone firing up the incubator for you and hatching, or slipping a few under a broody hen.

SHipping when 1/2 the country is freezing can be traumatic. Or not, depending on the weather and how many chicks you are sending.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    It definitely depends on where. I'm located in Georgia, and I hatch year-round, as long as the ladies are laying. However, I only have leghorns, plymouth rock, and easter eggers laying right now. I also don't ship.

But I also know I'm not the only one in this area who hatches year-round. So I'm sure there is at least one person in your area as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by