Chicks in Ohio next year

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kindofodd, Jun 26, 2016.

1. kindofodd

kindofodd In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    No chickens yet but plan to get 4 pullets next spring (because of my dog and hunter and huntress cats I worry for chicks). I'm not allowed to have chickens in my pretty rural neighborhood unless I have a full acre (which I'm just under). My neighbors are all for it so we'll see if I can get away with it. I have people willing to re-home if it comes down to it. Seeking quiet, friendly, and cold-tolerant above all else. NE Ohio winters can be brutal.
    Figured I'd join BYC now since I'm doing a ton of reading in preparation for the girls. LOVE all the great advice on pretty much any question people come up with! Any/all tips are appreciated!

2. uncertainty

uncertainty Chirping

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Kindofodd;

You can see by my username I had a lot of doubts too. I joined last fall and took delivery of my first flock in the spring. So far, everyone is hale and hearty. I encourage you to continue your readings but also to have confidence. When I received my day olds the weather was quite cold - below freezing every night so I was worried... I had to put a little extra heat in the coop but all has worked out well. I have new pups (6 months old now) and was worried... I keep the chickens safe and separated from the dogs with a fenced run but that is working out well too. There is a high predator population here so I was worried... Are you sensing a trend yet? I know it more good luck than good management but so far all the chicks have survived and are fun to watch and have in the yard. This will be a great project for you.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - Here's to chicks in Ohio come spring

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by