Chicks in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TChrist01, Dec 1, 2007.

1. TChrist01

TChrist01 New Egg

Dec 1, 2007
    Hi there. I hope I am posting this in the appropriate site. Wouldn't want to get in trouble for my first ever posting!

I cannot seem to locate any local sources to preorder chicks for Feb/Mar. I hate to purchase from the ag stores because of salmonella.

Can anyone please suggest the best route to take? I only want 6-8 chicks (RIR, Auracanas, Buff Rock) and the big hatcheries require a minimum 25.

Thanks for any suggestions!

[​IMG]

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Meyer hatchery is one of our sponsors and does small order programs. Just tell them where you saw them.

Mypetchicken also does small order.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Burns Feed in Boring has a great rep. They will special order you in what you want and they have trained staff to keep things clean. (Notice I said trained? ) They also get chicks in earlier than everyone else.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    If you are looking for chicks or chickens I have the phone number of a fellow in Canby that is really nice. His place is spotless and he lives for his chickens...It's where I got mine and they are very healthy.

6. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Where in Oregon are you?

I am planning on ordering my chicks from these people:

http://www.roosterscoop.com/cockadoodledoo.html

They are near Medford. I haven't had any actual business with them yet, but I like their site, and was happy with the telephone conversation I had with them. They appear to have a large choice, and no minimum - though that may not be true if the chicks need to go through the mail; I intend to pick mine up. Keep us informed on what you choose, and how it goes.

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i live over by hermiston,i have red sex links and Rhode Islands, Buff Orpingtons,im sure i can hatch out some chicks for you,or maybe even sell you pullets that are about to start laying

8. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I ordered a 25 min order and sold the extras at 6 weeks old. I listed on craigslist and 24 hrs later I had to delete the add from so many replies.
    I saw a listing for a Jenks Hathchery in Tangent. Has anyone heard of them or know what they offer?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Quote:Our hens came from Rainey's Corner, a feed store in Sam's Valley (just east of Grants Pass) and are just fine.

What's the salmonella issue?

10. TChrist01

TChrist01 New Egg

Dec 1, 2007
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I'll do some research and see what is best for me out here Hillsboro way. I love how everyone just jumped in and helped me as a newbie.

Greginshasta, when I was doing my research on where I could buy chicks I came across numerous articles about salmonella found in chicks bought in ag stores. Here's a link to one of the articles:

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/news/2007news/2007-0329a.shtml

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by