Chicks in the bathtub....?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Apr 8, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    So chicks outgrew the brooder, but the littlest one needs another week's worth of feathers to go out. What's a girl to do? I put them in the bathtub on puppy pads! They're enjoying the space, the shower door controls the dust, and the exhaust fan helps with the smell.

Now, I know I'm not the only one. Who else out there has chickies in the tub? It feels a little weird, and I'd like to know if I have company!

--Nikki

2. CrystalWho

CrystalWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    in our first batch we had them running around in the bathroom! in a pen of course, and we do sometimes put our new chicks in the bathtub in their box, since they're starting to jump out of the box.

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Mine were in the tub for e first week.....but they outgrew the box quickly and moved into a 42" wire dog crate brooder in my livingroom until today, then they made it to the big coop outside!! :D

4. CrystalWho

CrystalWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    *claps* Big chickies!

5. TexGal

TexGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    I dont have a bath tub sadly [​IMG] But I too have mine in a large dog sized crate! They are enjoying all the space compared to the bird cage they out grew!

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    been there done that DO NOT want to do it again. the chicks were so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet they just got their way with alot. i really hope to not do that again. they had the run of my whole bathroom they little sweeties! we are talking about getting some more now hubby done said they are not taking over the bathroom again [​IMG] but NO you are not alone

7. SecretChickSam

SecretChickSam New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    We have a complete bathroom in the basement that we never use, so as soon as our chicks are too big for the brooder, they'll be moving down there. Glad to hear it works well :)

8. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    i put ours in the big bathtub we didnt use. then built a bigger brooder in house, thankfully they are all outside in coop now :)

9. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Fortunately, our tub has a solid door rather than a curtain, so we can keep the girls cooped up. They do NOT have the whole bathroom. It'll be good to have them outdoors, though. Chickens sure poop a lot!

--Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by