1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in the car

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenriettaPlume, Jan 18, 2014.

1. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Next month we will be driving to a hatchery to pick up three chicks. My concern is that it's a three hour drive, and I'm wondering about keeping them warm for the ride home. Will they be OK?

2. hennedout

hennedout Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    You could put their box on the floor under the heat vent... (just don't make them too hot)

3. Maybe one of those 8 hour hand warmers?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They'll be fine at whatever temp you're comfortable at in the car. If they seem distressed you can place them by a heater vent, or simply have the passenger hold them all together and let them snuggle.

5. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! Keeping the chicks by the heat vent makes so much sense, and I just may wrap a hand warmer in a washcloth for extra heat. I totally love the idea of encouraging them to snuggle. :) I'm so excited that the big day is getting close, and am having so much fun working out all the details!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you use a warmer or put them by the vent make sure you don't overheat them.
    Cuddled together in a box, with the car comfortable for you, they should be fine.

7. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    That sounds perfect. I'm so excited about picking them up. I want to make sure everything goes smoothly!

8. sarahswank

sarahswank Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Garden City, Kansas
    I had to move two 2-day-old chicks to a buyer who was an hour away. Honestly the best advice is just make sure your car is comfortable for you when your wearing just jeans and a t-shirt. Your chicks will cheep, but trust me... they will REALLY cheep if they are truly cold. If your concerned they are getting too cold, I would hold them in my hands, or cuddle with them in lap for a few minutes. Honestly, since these are your first, your probably going to want to hold them and cuddle them anyways, so go for it.

I would NOT put them on the floor under the floor heater. Firstly because those heaters get WAY too hot, and you will do more harm to chicks by getting them too hot rather then too cold. (and if you have any shoes on, your not going to notice it is way too hot until it has heated up clear though your shoe.... not good for chicks) Secondly, because heat rises, the floorboard is the part of your car that will experience the most fluctuations in temperatures. (have you ever noticed when your driving how your feet can go from so dang hot, to soo dang cold so quickly?) The changing back in forth is really hard on your chicks. I am not sure how many people you will have in the car, and your set up, but up in the seat (leveled out as best you can), especially sitting between two people would be much better.

whatever you carry them in, make sure it has very sure footing. Bumps to us along the highway dont seem like much, but they can knock chicks off their feet. If you can spare a towel to throw away put one in the bottom of your box. It will help them move around a bit so they can cuddle together by choice if they want, or move to the part of the box that is the right temp for them. (this becomes even more important if you chose to use a hand warmer)

9. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks so much for your kind advice. It all makes absolute sense to me. I look forward to holding them. They'll be so little! I plan on using a hand warmer (maybe put in a mitten) for added warmth. Our drive home will be about three hours. I can't wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by