1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in the car???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nychicks, Jun 14, 2007.

1. nychicks

nychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    Hi-
    This is my first time writing in and my first time raising chicks....
    Here is my question...
    I have a family surprise party this weekend that has been planned well in advance of my knowing when the chicks were coming (today). I don't know what to do with them because there is no one available to take care of them this weekend and I was wondering if I could take them in the car on Saturday when they are three days old for an hour?
    This is probably too much for them...has anyone ever taken their chicks on a car ride? I would obviously put them in a box and keep the ac off in the car and try to keep them as warm as possible!
    Thanks for any advice!

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    How long will you be away from them if you leave them home?
    Kristyne

3. nychicks

Jun 14, 2007
    It depends...if we take them with us we would stay overnight...but if we leave them home it would be at least 6 -8 hours with traveling.

4. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I would say that it would be less stressful on them if you left them home. I know it makes you feel like a bad parent but they will be fine. As long as no other house pets can get at them and they have food and water and a heat light then they will be happy. They probably wont even notice that you are gone. I had to go to graduation parties shortly after I got my chicks and we were gone for about 12 hours and all was well when I got home. I had to change the food and water and bedding but that was part of a normal day anyway. Good luck.
    Kristyne

5. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    long as they have food and water, and you dont drive crazy and sling them around they should be fine, just keep them comfy temp wise! Mine have been fine in the car. Sometimes they find it very unnerving and some are just fine with it. Talk to them and pet them if you can.
    I would be more worried about, if there are kids at the party them rough handling the chicks.

6. nychicks

Jun 14, 2007
    Thank you! That makes me feel better...I feel terrible leaving them home but I am sure you are right and I should save them the stress!
    Thanks-
    Christine

7. nychicks

Jun 14, 2007
    How should I keep the temp comfortable if I was to take them? Close the lid on the box or just make sure they aren't drafty? Or should I put something warm like a towel in the box?
    Thanks!

8. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    they would be better off with you anyways. let us know how the chickies car ride goes!

9. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I know it is hard being a chick parent! I feel bad still leaving them but they are born pretty self sufficient. It is harder on us than them to think that they dont need us. Have fun on your trip.
    Kristyne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by