Chicks in the coop!! Roost ???

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
Our chicks just spent their 2nd night in the new coop (pictures soon)!!
We put quite a bit of research, mental energy and design time into the roosting situation and as of yet no one is roosting??? What's up?
In the am they are all cuddled up together in the shavings.
Could they be too cold? It's about 45 degrees at night. What should the temp in the coop be? We have a heat lamp, but we put it up pretty high, kind of where a normal light would hang.
They are all large breeds I think annd they are 8wks+ and very feathery. My husband swears they are fine

We used 2x4s rounded off for the roosts and but them at at about 8 inches and 18 inches.
Should I be concerned or am I just being a mother hen
big_smile.png
It was nerve wracking putting them outside!!

Claudia

They will roost soon.. It takes them awhile to get used to the new crib..

If you have a ladder up to the roosts they will eventually get brave and venture up a step at a time until one day they roost..

Mine took a couple of weeks before everyone of the would roost ...

not to worry... Unless it gets real cold..

Ours are not roosting in the coop either,they are about 9-10 weeks old. They huddle up together in the corner just like you said. I think they are just too young yet. (they don't come in at night from the run either,we have to manually put them in)

JSC's Hubby

Thanks you guys. Hubby says I'm overworrying.
My chickens are exceptionally good at coming in at night. As soon as it starts to get dark, they wig out! They start pepping and run for the door! They cried like crazy the first night, but no problems the second night.

They've also never had shavings before (we used recycled papre pellets in the brooder) so they do seem pretty excited about playing in the shavings and the straw
D.gif

Should I put a little ladder between the roosts?

Back
Top Bottom