chicks in the coop?

kristysedai

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 28, 2011
We have raised chicks twice with great success but I am worried this time because it is so warm. The other times we left the chicks in a pool with lights and stuff in the garage to keep them warm. This time our garage is over 100 degrees so I think it is too warm.can I put them right in the coop outside? It has been about 90 degrees. Also can I put them in with my silkie? She has always been mellow and at the bottom if the pecking order so I think she would be okay but I don't know. She is the only chicken we have right now.

I am brooding a big batch of Banty chicks in my shop now, and I spend most of my worry time trying to keep them cool. Do you have power to your coop? My shop gets as hot as your garage but cools off to the 60's by morning. If you are like this, then you will need to use some heat on them at night. They can start the first week or so in the garage and then transition to the coop as needed or when you feel good about it. On the lone bird, you will have to give it a 'test' and see. There is no telling how they might interact with one another. From your words, it might… but best to test the waters with the little ones.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Thank you. Our coop doesn't have electricity. Maybe I should put them in my basement with heat for the first little while.

I don't often have summer chicks, mine were hatched on July 7th, and to me it seems easier to brood them at this time of year, than in March. The buffer of the summer heat seems to make for just a wonderful time for the young birds, I have to use a fan in the afternoon to keep things under control until the coolness of evening creeps in. But do not need to worry so much over the heat source. Plus, if the power bumps, it is not a crisis as it would be at the tail end of winter.

Anyway home your new batch works up well for you,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom