Chicks in the hedge - help please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Valerie47, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Valerie47

Valerie47 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    My golden phoenix hen, Josephine, has been missing from the chicken coop for a while, although she has put in an occasional appearance in the garden. I suspected she may have been sitting on eggs somewhere in the very thick hedge surrounding our garden and sure enough she has just reappeared with 5 chicks. Shortly after she went back into the hedge with the chicks, I can see her in there with the chicks under her wings. They all seem fine, and the chicks seem to my inexpert eyes to be some days old, but I wonder should I try to catch them all and put them in the chicken coop and feed them chick food? I am inclined to do nothing as Josephine seems to be managing just fine but I would appreciate some advice.
    Thanks from SW France.

2. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I think they would probably be safer in the coup.

3. Valerie47

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks Joy. Do you think the chicks are likely to be accepted by the others? And do you think their mother will stay in the coop with them?

4. Valerie47

Dec 8, 2007
    I really would appreciate more advice - please????

5. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I have 2 hens with babies that I had kept seperated, after about a week I put them in with 20 other layers and 1 roo, all is going well, the moms are very protective as is the roo, but honestly the other chickens could care less, I was so worried to put them together but I guess they know what their doing! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    They will follow mum round , just give them [​IMG] some chick starter food to help them along.Let me know how they get on.

7. Valerie47

Dec 8, 2007
    Mum and chicks went into the coop by themselves - I went out there armed with hen-catching stuff prepared to root around in the very thick hedge, they were nowhere to be seen. I went into the coop and there they were. I've given them some chick feed so all is well. Thanks for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by