Chicks in the Hen House?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcox1963, Nov 22, 2013.

1. tcox1963

tcox1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    I have 5 Rhode Island Red chicks about 3 months old. I have them in a cage hanging from the ceiling in the hen house. They are doing great and growing like crazy. I have been letting them play in the hen house when the older gals are out roaming the yard. They have a ball. Then they go in before bed time.

How old do they need to be before letting them stay with the older hens? I understand I will need to introduce them which I would do at night and on a weekend so I can be there to watch over them. I have read to keep the older ones busy so the little ones dont get picked on too much. I can let them free range during the day to help with that. Just not sure of the actual timing of it.

thanks in advance!

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I let my **teenagers** as I call them in with my grown hens about when they where about 10 - 12 weeks old. The teenagers all stuck together at first but as time has gone on, they are starting to mingle with the big girls. They all seem to get along and have no problems at all being together. They all sleep together in the hen house not separated like at first. All is happy in the Carnes Coop!

3. Farmgirl245

Farmgirl245 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    It's so much easier to introduced them at night if you plan on putting them out there. If they are at least half the size of the older hens then they should be fine. I just introduced two silkies (who are half the size of regular chickens) and couple of older ducklings and they were just fine.

4. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    They are old enough to release to the flock, but additional room always helps, so why not let the adults have some extra free range too.

5. tcox1963

tcox1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    My chicks are doing great. I made them a space they can hide out if needed. When the hens are out of the hen house, the Kids as I call them, play and roost. My game/buff mix is playing mom to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by