chick's in the house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homestead5er, May 20, 2008.

1. homestead5er

homestead5er Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Loganville
    Do you have to put your brooder in the house ? Can't I just put in in the coop. I'm home all the time. :|

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    as long as its warm enough out there and you keep a light on them they will be just fine

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I just have to jump in. A few weeks ago, I was "with you." Critters in the house???
    I know that alot of BYC folks are enthusiastic, to put it mildly, and love to have a brooder on the diningroom table and a couple of ducks in the bathtub. I was not thinking that it was my thing at all. In fact, the guy at my local feed store helped my DD guilt me into having my chicks in the house. (For the record, they are in the basement).
    I AM GLAD I DID IT. When I hear a noise outside, I don't have to run out to check on them. I peek in when I am near. I am spending time with them on my terms; changing paper towels & feeding them in my bathrobe, if I want. They are not so much trouble and alot of fun. I have noticed very little smell, as I freshen up the brooder 3X daily.
    Do you HAVE TO have chicks in the house? No, I suppose not. If they are to be pets, I would very much recommend it.

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I think it is best when they are young to have them in the house this way they become more imprinted in you and are a lot more calm and even loving at times. I kept my RIRs in the house until they were about 3 months old & then I built them a temperary coop outside. It is very much worth the effort.

5. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I always have mine in the house. I love to handle them and baby them. I have alot of comments of how tame my chickens are. It really helps.

6. homestead5er

homestead5er Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Loganville
    Okay, we have a bed room that not used, but we have two dachshund that got real good nose's. They will probable stay at the door and it will drive them crazy. Your right I'll probably be worried about them because I'm planning to start small.
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    We started in the house...... I also liked the fact I could check on them anytime I wanted!!!

8. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I start mine in the house but I think if I were in a warm place like Georgia I wouldn't bother.

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I start mine in the house as well for all the reasons that everyone else explained, and also if something does go wrong you can fix it right away. I had a baby jump out of the brooder box I heard him crying right away could go get him and put him back in and secure the top so it didnt happen again, had they of been outside he probably wouldn't have made it.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine started in the shed and now reside on the screened porch. We moved them to the porch after we had a spell of warm days in late April and the shed became too warm during the day. They still bonded with me because I have been out there all the time checking on them or just watching them.
    Keeping them in the house was not an option for me and they have done more than fine; they've thrived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by