chicks in the house.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nok13, Jan 26, 2013.

1. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    have now converted a small room to become the brooder but here are pics of when we let them out for a short day excursion (we left them outside in the salon all day) but now they are safely back in their small room... pics later... there are four different age groups there; one is almost four weeks old, 8 are three weeks old, and the other 8 are two natural hatchings, we took from their moms that cannot manage taking care of the chicks in their faraway coop... so we carlifted them back to the house. will probably be more to add, as there were still eggs being sat on; but every two days or so we go to feed/water/check on eggs and the chicks can survive one or two days with momma and no food or water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    they are so adorable![​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aw, they are starting to get their long legs!

4. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    long legs??????????? they've discovered they can fly... i have baby chicks flapping around my salon, climbing the ladder that leads up to the gallery above them, perching on the edge of their box and peeking over, pecking at foofoo the lhasa chicken guard dog, and as i speak, one is sitting on the barrier and staring down at foofoo the dog who is laying ont he other side of the barrier and watching them. and getting pecked on the nose. today he attacked a friend of mine (he is an aggressive dog at the best of times and doesnt like caucasian men, only thai men like husband) when my friend approached the chickens.

some of the older chicks are going in to fighting stance.im trying to figure out who the males are...
    we recently purchased an infrared light so have a good mini room brooder... i put in a dish of dirt from my hens' coop, to get the chicks used to organisms and to play and dust themselves, and put a log in there for roosting...
    as a petting zoo manager, old zoo habitat habits die hard. even my eldest walked in the house tgoday and said ma, the house looks like a petting zoo exhibit.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    ADORABLE!!!!!!!![​IMG]flying already!! wow. I have my silkies in the house too!! i keep them in my spare bedroom but ive been too afraid to take them out in the rest of the house just yet. i have three dogs and three cats inside too and im really woried about the cats more than the dogs, One of my cats is a real mouser and im so afraid!! ive seen so many pics where the cat just happily looks at the chicks but gosh im afraid mine would do more than look!!! [​IMG]im just afraid she might think its a mouse!!! but your chicks are very cute!!! I have two partridge silkie chicks 1 month old and 1- 2 1/2 month old blue. all inside !! thanks for sharing your pics!! very cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by