chicks in the house

chickiiin

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
My. daugther and i picked up a few chicks this afternoon. We only have a few qustions. 1) how do the chicks sleep with the 100 watt light shining in the box all night? 2) one of the chicks seems to be much weaker than the other. the weaker of the two has seemed to get chick crap all over him how is the best way to clean a chick. Thanks for your time we really appriceate it.

Dave & Kayla

wash the chick in warm water and dry it gently, then put back under the light. If it has a lot of poop around the vent, it's called pasty butt and can be DEADLY if not cleaned. Put some warm water on any dried poop to soften it, then clean it off. Be gentle but thorough, and I hope your little guy makes it. Do you have any AviaCharge or electrolytes in the water? Are you using sugar in the water? If not, add some sugar to the water for energy and decrease the amt. of sugar to none over the next few days, and KEEP WATCHING the little one with the poop issue, cleaning as needed.

As for the light, it's needed more for the heat than the light. If the chicks huddle under it, they're cold and you should move the light down a bit. If they stay far away from it, it is too low/hot and should be raised up or directed away from them somewhat. if they're scattered around the box/brooder playing and exploring, they should be just about right. PLEASE check the FAQ section for raising chicks 101. It has a lot of information I'm sure you'll find helpful. Good luck, and welcome to BYC.

Is your heat light red? It seems less harsh as far as the glare is concerned.
smile.png
As for how they sleep through it, however, baby chicks can fall asleep eating, pooping, or mid run....they can handle it.
smile.png

Aloha! Congratulations on your newest members! You'll have many hours of enjoyment & amusement with your chickies!
As for the "pasty butt" mentioned in the previous post, I wholeheartedly stress the importance of keeping that area super clean!!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom