Chicks in the Incubator... 2 early one late.

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Okay BYC!

I have three chicks in the incubator, two hatched Thursday Evening(day 20.5), so now they’re at about the 36 hour mark. The other hatched last night around 1am(day 21.5), so about 6 hours old.

The older two are fluffed and lively, and I’d love to get them into the brooder. The small one obviously needs more time. Would she be okay in there for 24 hours by herself? Or should I just put a dish of food and water in the incubator so they can all stay together while she catches up?

take the old ones out as quickly as possible. they will soon get bored and start pecking eachother

They have a very good temperament so far. When they want to play they just push around the egg shell from the last chick. I’m primarily worried about the one that hatched early this morning being alone.

but it’s noted and I will keep an eye on them!!!

Okay BYC!

I have three chicks in the incubator, two hatched Thursday Evening(day 20.5), so now they’re at about the 36 hour mark. The other hatched last night around 1am(day 21.5), so about 6 hours old.

The older two are fluffed and lively, and I’d love to get them into the brooder. The small one obviously needs more time. Would she be okay in there for 24 hours by herself? Or should I just put a dish of food and water in the incubator so they can all stay together while she catches up?
The late hatcher should be fine by herself in the incubator. I like to move chicks to the brooder once they're dry and fluffy so they can begin eating, drinking, and pooping there (and not in the incubator 😉), esp. if it's been more than 24 hours since they hatched. Yes, they can potentially survive without food or water for longer than that, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Congrats on your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom