Chicks in the Mail - What Do I Do When They Arrive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barry Natchitoches, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I got the email -- the chicks are in the mail as I write this.

I've never gotten babies in the mail.

What do I do when I get to the post office? Do I open them there to make sure they are OK?

What do I do if there are some dead or sickly ones in there?

Will they be ready for feed and sugar water when they get home?

Will they be traumatized by the long journey in the mail?

I don't know about them, but I'm nervous as a new father right now!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    First call your post office asap. Give them the expected arrival and your phone number, they should then call you very early in the morning to pick up your chicks.

I wouldn't open them at the post office. The post office will not allow you inside. So take the chicks home.

Once home open the box and check them out. You will need the brooder ready to go before the chicks arrive.

Put them in the brooder, and after they are all in, take each chick and dip their beak into the water, that will teach them where the water is.

You should have water and food in the brooder before they are put in it.

If you have very sick chicks they will need the heat and the sugar water. I don't usually give all of the chicks sugar water.

If you have dead chicks, then you will need to dispose of them. You can double wrap the body and put it in your garbage, or bury it. The contact the hatchery and let them know what you lost. Most hatcheries will reimburse you for the dead ones.

Chicks that arrive in the mail don't seem to be traumatized as far as I can tell. I wouldn't stress to much about things. There is only so much you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by