Chicks in the mail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ddcoyne, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    I got online this morning and ordered 6 chicks. They will be shipped the first week of May from Meyer Hatchery. I ordered 3 Silkies and 3 Dominiques. The other chicks we bought were from a local feed store, so I've not had any experience with ordering through the mail. Obviously, my first concern is receiving a box of dead chicks. I've been reading through some of the posts here and have seen that some people have had good experiences and others haven't. Has anyone here ordered from Meyer? If so, what was your experience like? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We got our fist order from Meyer last Wed. All 4 golden buffs were alive and started eating and drinking right away. We did loose one the second day. I called meyer and they credited us for the chick. We have a second order coming in a few days. Just make sure to contact your post office and have them call you when the chicks get it. That way they are not sitting around at the post office waiting to be delivered to your house. Not sure the temps by you but they did add a few heating pads in my box. They do post the tracking number online for you to use.

3. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Thank you! I very much appreciate the reply! [​IMG]

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I used Meyer for my first time too. I got 17 Beautiful Black Jersey Giant hen chicks. All alive and full of energy. They even sent 3 Buff Orpington roos as packing peanuts. They all grew up to be beautiful, sweet birds. I right now have 65 eggs in the Bator. 3 hatched last night and I could see 13 pips this morning!!! I cant wait to get home and see how many I have now!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by