1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks in the rain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bleachcse, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bleachcse

bleachcse New Egg

Apr 13, 2008
    My chicks are about 7 1/2 weeks old and are outside in their coop. It's raining today and has flooded the area below their coop. They should be inside keeping dry and warm but for some reason they are choosing to stand in the 2-3 inches of water. It's only 67 degrees today and they are all wet. I can't get them to go inside on their own. Are they going to be ok?????? You'd think they know what is good for them, but I'm starting to wonder. I tried luring them with food, but they are stubborn. I know chickens are supposed to keep dry and warm. I just want to know if it is going to hurt or kill them??

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They will go in when they've had enough.

3. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    We've had cold rain here and they seem to love it! They are 10 weeks old and seem to "take showers" in the rain, and them come in the coop to warm up. Funny!

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    it was down pouring on monday and the girls and scooter stood out in it for a good 2 hours....when they had enough they went in! silly chicks!! [​IMG]:barnie:lau:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by