1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks In The Sand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannys Girls, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Shannys Girls

Shannys Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    South Texas Coast
    I have chicks that are probably about a week old. I put them in a plastic child's swimming pool, with sand as the litter. If they are eating the sand, is that going to hurt them?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No. A little will give them some grit to grind food.

They will eat a little pine shavings or hay, too.

2 people like this.
  3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Sand will not hurt them because they actually need some gritty food to help with digestion.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shannys Girls

Jul 20, 2013
    South Texas Coast
    Thank you! It was a real pain dealing with the paper towels & pine shavings that I started out with. Realizing very quickly, that all chickens do is eat, sleep, poop & poop some more. LOL But, I am very excited to have them! Glad to know that they are safe in the sand. ( :

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As long as they don't stuff themselves with the sand, it won't hurt them. Chickens of all ages eat sand and small stones that are then used in their gizzard (a sort of muscular second stomach) to grind up the feed they eat properly. The only thing you need to watch out for is impacted crop, caused by gorging on hard things or fibery grasses.

6. Shannys Girls

Jul 20, 2013
    South Texas Coast
    What would an impacted crop look like?

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Impacted crop would look large and likely if it were impacted by Sand you could feel it.it wouldn't go down over night like a usually full crop would.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It would be large, and feel hard for a long period of time. Instead of emptying at night (so that it is flat in the morning), it would remain huge.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by