Chicks in the sun?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brocaknows, Feb 2, 2014.

1. brocaknows

brocaknows New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Needless to say I am spanking new to this subject and am interested in it as a way to produce happy hen eggs. I am curious as to why it is necessary to use a brooder in areas where the weather is warm. Can baby chicks be raised in the sun, in a garden area? I am thinking about what birds in the wild do, and so am guessing chickens can normally raise chicks without artificial warmth... Is it difficult to raise chicks with their chicken momma? Thanks and apologies if my questions are basic or sound ridiculous!

Broca

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    A broody hen will raise her own. If you do not confine her the chicks are susceptible to predators. The hen will also have them out in the early morning whenthe grass is still wet. It is better to confine them and let them out a while when you can watch them. After they are a few weeks old they will need less supervision.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    For great details, do thread searches re: brooding chicks, and broody hens with chicks. Your questions are fine. That's how we all learn. Artificially brooded chicks need specific temperatures to correlate to their age. Hen brooded chicks are heated by the hen, but as Dick says, hens don't always practice sound judgement re: exposing chicks to danger and cold wet temps.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They cannot stay in the sun all day- just like people they need shade and protection from the UV.

The correct temperature is required in the brooder unless they have a mama hen setting on them...so if your day is 90-95 degrees then turn off the heat lamp so they don't overheat- until the air temperature comes down to less than 90- for the first week of life, for example. But they need to not sit in the sun constantly.

So then decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered, usually at 6 weeks of life.

5. brocaknows

brocaknows New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi again, thanks for all your help! Sounds like it's doable but more dangerous/less controlled for the chicks. I'm going to look into hen behavior some more. Their relationship to chicks in an 'artificial' situation is interesting to me. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by