Chicks in the Winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ittlechickies, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ittlechickies

Ittlechickies Just Hatched

Nov 28, 2016
    Hi! My Plymouth Rock chicken began sitting in the earlier days of November. Her chicks just hatched and we have five Plymouth Rock-Cochin Bantam chicks. They are currently living in the coop, and I am concerned for them. Winter is approaching which means freezing temperatures. This is my first time raising chicks that were not purchased. Will their mother keep them warm enough, or do I need to figure something else out to keep them warm through the winter?

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Their mother should keep all of them nice and warm, although if you feel particularly concerned (say if the temps drop really low) than you could always bring the mama hen and her chicks into a warmer garage to be on the safe side. Also be wary of the waterers freezing- I've heard stories of chicks getting their feet wet, and their feet freezing. Good luck with them!

1 person likes this.
  3. Ittlechickies

Nov 28, 2016
    Thank you! I'll keep that in mind!

4. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Do a search on here for brooding chicks outdoors-there is some really fantastic information from very experienced people. I've been reading a lot about this lately as I have chicks coming tomorrow and I want to get them out of the house and into the main coop as quickly as possible.

My 2 cents is that there is no need to bring them indoors as long as your coop is dry.

Try searching for the members Blooie and Azygous-they've posted a lot on this subject.

Good luck!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The Mamma Heating Pad is seems like a great idea, but I was under the impression that the setup is intended for raising chicks without mothers [​IMG] If not, then its certainly something worthy of consideration.

6. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    You're right about the heating pad but I know there was discussion in one of the articles about baby chicks and momma hens doing great outdoors year round-that's what I was referring to, sorry if I wasn't clear!

7. Ittlechickies

Nov 28, 2016
    Thank you for all your help! I will definitely check it out. :)

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Usually mom will do a bang up job without any help at all. In fact, the entire premise behind Mama Heating Pad is to replicate (not replace) Mama Broody as closely as possible. I use it exclusively and brood outdoors even in the balmy teens twenties we have in the springtime simply because I don't have a broody when I need one, and have to order fertile eggs anyway! <sigh> So you shouldn't even need to hook one up, but I would recommend you have something in standby in case she abandons them or something unfortunate happens.

As @chickygirl7 said, do watch the waterer with the chicks. My one and only broody hatched chick froze his feet at the waterer when he was tiny and our temps had gone from the upper 60s to low 70s all of October and then plunged to 17 below zero in less than 30 hours. Yikes! Ah, the joys of living in northwest Wyoming! Another thing to keep an eye is that sometimes there will be a brave (or stoopid) chick that seems to want to wander around all over the place, and then not be able to find his way back. So do check for strays regularly and scoot them back to her until they figure it out - usually only a few days.

Good luck! And thanks for the mention, @lutherpug !

9. Ittlechickies

Nov 28, 2016
    Thank you! I will be sure to check on them quite often, we don't need strays or frozen chicky feets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by