Chicks in the Winter

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Does anyody know how to raise chicks outdoors, or in a garage in the winter? I'm thinking about raising chicks year round. I just can't quit hatching the little things.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Hatch 24/7/365... Worse Case Scenario I Make Them Wear Shorts, T Shirts, And Flip-flops When They Go Outside [​IMG]

3. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Do you let them pick their own outfits? lol

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Just make sure their brooder is warm and they have no drafts and lower the temp weekly just like you would if you were brooding them in a box in your house, nothing to it [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NO THEY'RE BABIES.... THEY WOULD DO STUPID STUFF LIKE STRIPES WITH PLAID, OR WEAR SOCKS WITH THEIR FLIP FLOPS AND THEN LOOK LIKE LIL FEATHERED TOURIST...

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:NO THEY'RE BABIES.... THEY WOULD DO STUPID STUFF LIKE STRIPES WITH PLAID, OR WEAR SOCKS WITH THEIR FLIP FLOPS AND THEN LOOK LIKE LIL FEATHERED TOURIST...

Being in a weather nether area of the country, I can't figure out what color socks look right with my flip flops...white or dark. ??

Robo: Yes you can raise many species of quail all year long provided you account for proper brooding temps. Once you get past the brooder stage. Most species are very cold tolerant.

7. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Color doesn't matter as long as they come up to your knees...

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "Being in a weather nether area of the country, I can't figure out what color socks look right with my flip flops...white or dark. ??"

WELL JOE SINCE ITS AFTER LABOR DAY I'D SAY DARK.......... [​IMG]

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:unless you're homeschooled ...then they have to be White...hehehe ( i homeschooled our daughter and have lots of friends who do ...all the kids joke about white socks with sandals and say it's a homeschool thing...)

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Socks with sandals...[​IMG]

Just Say No!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by