1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks in the winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by matthewrosette, Nov 23, 2013.

1. matthewrosette

matthewrosette New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    i live in New Hampshire and i have chicks that are about 5-6 weeks old an i was wondering when they could go outside cause they are taking up to much room in my house the day time temps are 30-40 degrees and the nights are in the teens and twenties i have 10 amerucana chicks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    I also gave a similar reply to another thread--- short answer, I put my chicks out in an unheated coop last week, at 5 weeks. Day time temps averaging 50, and a few nights below freezing. They are doing well so far, here is more detail copied from my other post:

I have 10 chicks of various breeds that I brooded in a kiddie-pool in my basement. The breeds are: RIR, buff orp, EE, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock and White Rock. I tried to keep the basement temperature rather cool (mid 60's), and used a brinsea eco-glo heater. At 3 weeks, I removed the brinsea, because they were no longer using it (except to sit on -- so I put in some perches instead). They began feathering up pretty quickly, so at five weeks (one week ago), I put them out in the unheated coop. The temperature has been around 50 degrees F during the day, and it has gotten below freezing a couple of times during the night. So far, they are doing great, and have been growing and eating up a storm since I put them outside (knock on wood). I am a first time chick owner, but from what I've read (and now, observed), they tolerate the cold really well once they have feathers. So, my goal was to gradually wean them off heat and acclimate them to cooler temps as soon as they seemed able to handle it.

They are 6 weeks now. They fly out of the coop the minute I open the door to the run in the morning (even when it was just 30 degrees a few days ago), and put themselves to bed around dusk. They sleep in a row, close together, on their perches, but never "huddle" or pile up-- I went down to check on them a couple of times during the first really cold night. They looked pretty cozy to me, so I went back to bed.

Some people seem to put heat lamps in their coops for young chicks, but I don't have that option (no electric). But honestly, I think it would be redundant for my chicks, they seem totally comfortable out there. Good luck!!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have big chickens that age and they have a heat lamp.

I also had 6 week old chicks in a coop- in a brooder box and a 50 w heat lamp I thought that was enough- but then I saw the water was freezing- I put a bigger bulb in.

5. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    Should i put heater in coop? It's below freezing here. -6c. They are 6 mths old now. I have 11.

Also will their egg laying be effected? One egg was usually small yesterday. And why are they getting bare bums? Not a good time to have no feathers on the rearends.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At 6 months most breeds can handle any temperature. The temperature has little effect on egg laying. It's primarily light, nutrition and disease.

The small egg is most likely due to the age of the bird.

7. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    Still wondering why their feathers are falling out of their backsides? Is this normal? They are 6 mths old.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is it just around the vent? Have you checked for mites?

9. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Bare bums could be a little moult possibly although at 6 months old it's a little young.
    I had a little hen who at that age decided to be broody and lost some of her under feathers. Possibly could be a mite issue too.
    Are they feather picking ? If so they are looking for protein and you could try a fish based cat food or some tuna maybe to provide it for them.

Hope you get to the "bottom" of it !!! (Sorry) ;)

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    chickens pick bottoms, because it is the non-pointy end to peck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by