Chicks in thier run!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stina3246, May 12, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Here are my babies in the run for the first time. It was SO cute. They ran and flapped and took litle dirt baths. I don't think I'll be leaving them in at night yet. We still have to cover the top so for now they go out while we are home.
    This run is 20 feet long X about 15 feet wide. The coop itself is about 15 feet wide X 5 feet and about 4 feet tall. It's off the ground so they can have shade underneath. How many chickens should this hold?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

What a bunch of little cuties! As for how many chickens your coop should hold, a good rule of thumb is two square feet per bird at maturity. It also depends on how often you want or plan to clean your coop. If you don't mind cleaning more often, you can put more birds in than the 2 square foot rule would allow. Just remember that the more crowded your coop and run are, the greater your chances are for disease to happen.

I fully understand the desire to have a huge flock. I now have far more babies than our coop can comfortably house during the winter months when they tend to spend more time indoors than out. I now face the prospects of either A) Cleaning even more frequently than I do now, (about twice a month in the winter) B) finding new homes for some of them and thereby reduce the number to something more manageable, or C) Build another coop. Hmmmm....I wonder if I can talk the DH into an addition to the current coop? [​IMG]

If the littles in the pictures are the only chickens you have so far, you're a long way off from overcrowding your coop. [​IMG]

3. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Yup, so far it's only those 3 and I'm considering making the Frizzle a house chicken. He's SUPER sweet and actually enjoys my company. I was thinking only a few more but I know....they are like potatoe chips!

4. luckyramu

luckyramu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Apple Valley
    I don't want to comment on the math, but let me say what wonderful chooks you have. They are so cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by