Chicks in Utah -- how warm?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xjonesy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    I've got 6 chicks and live in Salt Lake City, UT. How warm does it need to be for me to let my chicks out into their new coop? I still have them in the garage and they're quickly outgrowing their box. We've had a bout of cold weather and snow here in Salt Lake this past week, but I'm wondering if the 70s/40s next week is warm enough for 7-week old chicks?

Anyone else raising chicks here in the Salt Lake area? When are you letting your chicks outside for good...how old?

Thank you.

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    If they are totally feathered out, they should be just fine. I have my 11 week old girls in the coop without heat and it got down to 27 degrees two nights ago.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You could probably take them out for a bit during the day, but they need to be fully feathered before you keep them out all night without a lamp.

4. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    And how old is "fully feathered"?

5. LightenUp

LightenUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Laketown, Utah
    I'm in Salt Lake City too!
    I am a brand new chick owner and am wondering the same thing you are. I have been reading to get the answer and seems like there's all sorts of opinions!

6. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have some 6 week olds and I am wondering the same thing here. The other night it was in the 20's so I really thought way too cold still. I know we sometimes get low 30's in May.

7. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Quote:It is different for all chicks. Most are done by about 8 weeks. Just look at them and make sure that they have mostly feathers and no fuzz. Feathers are warmer and a better insulator. You may want to give them some heat (brooder lamp) in the coop for a week or more even after you move them out, but make sure it is well secured so no fire hazzard. Good luck to you and your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by