Chicks in Vermont!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robomb, Aug 15, 2011.

1. robomb

robomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    Hello everyone,
    I've been looking over some of the posts on this forum, and thought I should probably introduce myself, although I did already post in the "Nan" thread. I have 8 chicks, who will be 5 weeks old on Wednesday. There are 3 Buffs, 3 Silver laced Wyandottes, and 2 barred Plymouth Rocks. Until this weekend, I had only named 3 of them, but I'm happy to say that they all have names now! I am almost finished with their outdoor coop and run, since they are outgrowing their basement space. My biggest girl, Thelma (a buff) is now perching on the edge of the wall enclosing their indoor space. No one else has demonstrated this skill yet, at least not that I have seen. My smallest girl is named Poopsy, because she has had a pasty butt since Day 2. It does not matter how often I clean her off, her butt remains pasty. I recently started adding probiotics to the water, hoping it might clear up whatever is going on with her. They have all been on medicated starter since I got them. Poopsy is as fast as can be, and seems to be fine from a temperament standpoint. She is not much bigger than a 2-day old chick, and is still covered with fluffy down. She has some wing feathers but no tail feather (due to the constant pasting problem, I think). She eats and drinks okay, and is as fast as lightening when I give them meal worms and chick grit. She has a couple of other worrisome characteristics - she has a waddle when she walks, she tips from side to side; she has a bit of a bump on her breast; she is very tiny; ALWAYS has a pasty butt, and she tends to isolate in the corner after eating. After cleaning off her butt, she will huddle with the other girls. She is clever at running under the other girls, or going between their legs. It does not appear as though she is getting picked on. I asked the supplier if it could be a bantam, but he said there were no bantams in the order. I tried to upload a photo of her, but I don't think it worked. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
    Lori

2. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] --- poopsy sounds healthy ... I would just watch her ... I had one chick like that,it really helped when I added apple vinegar to their water.... to this day we call him "pasty" ... good luck...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, robomb! Glad you joined BYC! [​IMG] I'm sure you'll get tons of good advice on your sick little chick on this site. Best of luck to you and your flock!! [​IMG]

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey! Welcome to BYC!

I did the basement brooding for a while, too - and finally moved everyone into the sunroom. Going up and down those stairs became quite a pain in the neck. A farmer friend suggested feeding a little parakeet grit, found in most petstores, to chicks with pasty butt. I've never tried it to know how it works, but I'm just passing his suggestion along. Good luck to you and see you around the boards!

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD [​IMG]

6. TheUrbanFarm&Garden

TheUrbanFarm&Garden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi Lori...My name is Lorri too and I am new to BYC also. Love the names of your chickens! Welcome

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by