chicks incoming!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RazrRebel, Mar 12, 2013.

1. RazrRebel

RazrRebel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Chicks coming in Monday. I have 25 total coming from Murray. Mcmurray. 5 each of RIR, BO, Dommers, White leghorn, and Delawares. I have all my basic supplies. 2 feeders, 2 waterers, 2 heat lamps, starter crumbles, pine shavings, thermometers, and poultry nuttridrench. I will be building a brooder this weekend. I just need to know how big. I live in Va. So they will have to stay in the brooded for at least 4 weeks. Anybody that actually has raised 25 big stock chickens chime in. Just need to know how big to build my brooder.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Hello, I received 43 chicks safe and sound on March 4th from mm. I had built a brooder out of old underlay plywood (very thin) I have a small finish nail gun. I cut the plywood and used 2x4 in corners for support and scrap 3/4'' plywood to support floor to wall. I used a piece of 1/2'' pvc to run across the top of brooder to hook lamps on. I notched a spot in the rim so the pvc set into it and wouldent roll off. The floor space is 2'6''x3'6''. I kept them in that until yesterday and I moved them to a blocked off end of the coop, which is 9'x4'. I have 2 250 watt red heat lamps and I used large pieces of card board (from a bed we got) to put above on the roost rails to hold heat down. All is well and everyone has made themselves at home. for 25 for 4 weeks...I would probably make one the size of my first one that should be ok. you could go maybe 6'' larger each way and make it 3'x4'. even tack a couple of vertical guide rails on each side of the inside (like 1''x1'') and have a heavy piece of cardboard or a light piece of plywood as divider you can move it to make the space larger as they grow. So you could start with 1/2 the size of the brooder and increase it to the full space at like 2 weeks of age. I kept mine in my husbands pole barn with cement floor. No drafts but not heated it stays min of 40 degrees in there. I put card board over the top to keep the heat in and adjusted the opening on top to get the correct temp. I hung a thermometer from a wire hooked on the pvc in center of brooder. This worked very well for me and my little chicks. I just love them so much!!! Good luck with your construction!!

3. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Oh forgot to say... I have heavy breeds too! buff orpingtons, black giants, black australorps, dominiques, araucanas, speckled sussex, white cochin, golden polish,& partridge rocks.

4. RazrRebel

RazrRebel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks top knot. I was thinking a 4 x 8 would be big enough. Just wanting a little info from someone who had at least 25 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by