Chicks into chickens?

alex

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
What age do I add my chicks in with my other chickens?
I would like to know ahead of time.

i'm sorry wish i could help you..
idunno.gif
..lets wait to see what they say...Wendy

I'd wait until they were pretty feathered out so they don't get chilled at night. Also, depending on what size chickens you have, you want to make sure they are big enough not to get bullied away from food, water, etc.

I don't plan on putting my chicks in with my older ones until they are 12-16 weeks old. And then I think I will do a few at a time. Only the more feathered out larger chicks the first week and then add as the others mature a bit. I know the pecking order will change each time but I worry about the smaller breeds.

Actually Nadine if you put the younger ones in a few at a time they could likely become McNuggets. The big girls will likely attack the younger ones. If you put them all in at the same time the older girls will think twice because they will be over run. And you do not want to clean up after that bloodbath. My girl had to be in the bathroom for a week and then in her own pen for another 3 before I put her and her young cockerel friend in with the big girls (I only have 4). They both got pummeled. So they just have their own house, but they all free range and just stay away from each other.

Thank you, everybuddy is so much help here.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
big_smile.png

I find the silkies to be a bit calmer, so at about 12-16 weeks old I pop in all the babies at the same time with the adults. However I do free range so they get introduced at anywhere from 3-6 weeks old through the fence and then roaming freely. I have a few cornish meat birds and leghorns who are 6-10 weeks old decide that sleeping with the adults is more fun that sleeping in their own safe coop... I kick them back to their coop at night so they can fill up on the chick feed before hanging out all day with the big ones getting picked on.

Back
Top Bottom