Chicks just arrived from MPC!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hannah9, May 11, 2010.

1. hannah9

hannah9 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I felt nervous as I opened the box. What if there are dead chicks? It can happen. But the chicks were just fine. They got here in one day. They were healthy bright-eyed and cute as can be. I really recommend MPC for anyone needing a small order of chicks.

[​IMG]

2. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    awwweee so cute!

3. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    Congratulations on your chickies! They're so cute! What breeds did you get? [​IMG]

4. ByHisHands

ByHisHands Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    They are just precious! [​IMG]

5. hannah9

May 4, 2010
    There are two Speckled Sussex (The lady at MPC totally sold me on those, I had never even heard of them before), two Barred Rock and one Dominique. The Speckled Sussex chicks are larger than the BRs and Dom, they also seem to be the most assertive and intelligent. I still can't figure out which one is the Dominique chick, but there is one really sweet black chick, maybe that's the Dom. It loves to sit in my hand and is really calm.

This is my first time having chickens so it will be quite a learning experience. [​IMG] When I first took them out of the box they were pecking at each other. I hope that's normal. I gave them water and food immediately and checked them all for pasty butt. One chick still has her umbilical cord attached. They are just too cute!

6. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    I was just talking to Motherjean about the Speckled Sussex at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. They use them in the petting zoo there. I had never heard of them before either, but they sound lovely. Congrats again on your chickies!

7. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    congrats. i get mine the first week of june. i feel like i'm pregnant again for the first time and just waiting.

8. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on ur chicks, their sooo cute [​IMG]

Mine come tomorrow!!!!! [​IMG]

9. hannah9

May 4, 2010
    Thanks!!! It was so hard having to wait for them to get here. I can't imagine going through this kind of waiting for nine months once my husband and I decide to have kids!

The more I read about the Speckled Sussex the more I love them. Seems like the perfect choice for a small backyard flock. Plus, the SS chicks are just so darn cute.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aww...you gotta love 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by