Chicks just don't dig me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Don, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Howdy!

We've got 6 kids, 3 roos and 3 ladies. They're only (supposedly) about 3 1/2 months old right now and none of them want anything to do with me.

Well, if I am in the run lettin' em pick some scratch from my hand then the ladies will come close enough to eat. If I move my hand or anything, they all run. The roos wont even eat from my hand, they'll peck my hand hard to try and knock all the scratch out but that's it. When I walk outside they'll all run to the edge of the run by me to see if I have food.

We got them all the same day and they were supposed to be 4 weeks old then. I've handled them since day one but they have never liked it.

Is there something I could do to speed up the socializing of my kids or is this just a waiting game?

[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think it is a waiting game, but I must admit the hens started coming to my wife before coming to me, and now they come and they are ok, but the rooster is scared to death from me hehhe

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    We got two of our girls when they were 6 & 10 weeks old and the other when she was 20+ weeks old.

We've gone out when they are just settling in for the night and grabbed them from the roost and petted them and talked to them softly.

You may think I'm nuts, but we even brought them in the house to sit on our laps (with a shop towel for poop accidents) for treats. We have one that has been a sweetie from the get-go, but we have another that pecks the crap outta ya when eating the food from your hand. The 3rd is very sweet as well.

All I can tell you is, I tried and tried to socialize them, but the biggest advancement to socializing was when they started laying.

They now squat in front of me when ever I step outside. Now I know what this means... but I acknowledge it every time. They can keep thinking I'm head hen or a rooster or whatever. [​IMG] I stop and pet them or most the time pick them up and carry them to where ever I was headed talking and petting and then put them back down. Its been great.

Good luck![​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've hatched almost all of my chickens and handled them etc.... and now that they are big boys and girls.... they want very little to do with me unless there are treats involved [​IMG] However.... they ARE getting good about going in when I want them too, even if it's early... just so long as they have had enough time to scratch around in the leaves etc. I have a couple that are friendlier than the others and I have some that will probably always be flighty. But, they do all have their own unique personalities.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    It helps a lot if you can spend time sitting out with them. Take a lawn chair and your reading. Then you become just another familiar thing to them.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:right!..i agree with this...if you just sit by them ...kinda hang out...give them a treat every now and then.........they will be ALL over you...[​IMG]..its kinda like the "hard to get" game....if you go out there and just give them "milk"...they have no reason to "buy the cow"...[​IMG]....ooh..how i remember THAT lecture from mom!....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  7. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Well thanks to you all!

I've just been takin scratch out there with me. I think I will take some readin' out or just the ipod and chill with my peeps. Oh wait ... did I say that? LOL

Thanks again! Mucho Mucho!

[​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by