1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks just hatched under hen 1-2 days ago; do I leave them outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdmccaffery, Mar 23, 2017.

1. cdmccaffery

cdmccaffery New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    I have 2 female pheasants and one male. One of the females just hatched 6 chicks. I went to TSC and a worker there told me I should bring them in and put them under a heat lamp. I also read online that if the mama is laying on them to keep them warm then they should be fine. It will be in the 30s overnight and I want to make the right decision. I have a heat lamp in the pen but I'm very worried.

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Take the heat lamp out, and let her take care of them, you take care of her, and she will do the rest.

Mrs K

3. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I agree with Mrs. K, the mother will be able to take care of them. For future reference personally I would put the chicks in a brooder this eliminates chances of getting trampled, killed by males, etc... but it is also just so cute to see the babies follow the mother and watch them learn from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by