Chicks just sitting there :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thepouts, Mar 16, 2013.

1. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    We bought home some silkie chicks. 2 from 1 breeder and 3 from another. The 2 younger ones are up and moving, eating, sleeping etc. the other 3 (they are separated from the other 2) are just sitting there. The only time they will have food or water is if I hold them to it and put their beaks in it. I'm so worried and don't know whatnot do. When we went to the breeder they seemed ok, I picked them and they were evading capture just like all the others. There were 15 or so of them but now they don't move...are they sick or sad?

The breeder said they're 3-4 weeks old and don't need heat anymore and it's been a 30 degrees Celsius day here. Do they need heat?? He said no but I'm so confused. (Our other 2 have heat).

Their poos look ok to me but I'm no expert these are my first ever chicks. I keep reading about corid but don't know where to get it from (were in australia).

2. ryanlou

ryanlou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm very new to this myself, but I thought they were supposed to have heat until 5-6 weeks. At least it has been warm! Can you put a light up one end, from my understanding they will sit under it if cold and away if hot? Sorry can't be of more help I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon. Also are they having medicated feed? Where in oz are you? I'm in perth.

3. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks I've decided to give them heat and if they don't want it they won't use it. I'm pretty annoyed I got told incorrect info. My chicks are stressing me lol .

I'm in sydney :)

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can get corid online or at feed store.corid kills all strains of cocci while other meds only kill some strains.look up coccidosis. see if symptoms fit.bloody poo comes later in cocci see if the first signs are their. i believe there are 9 stains of cocci. best wishes hope this helps.

5. ryanlou

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi Thepouts, how are they going?

6. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    They are absolutely perfect. I did give them heat, I'm glad you suggested it so thank you :)

They really perked up after the first day. They don't stop eating or mucking around with one another!

7. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    So glad they perked up! I was going to suggest giving them electrolytes in their water for a day or so. My chicks were obviously a bit tired/stressed from the trip home on their first day here, but like yours they were like different chicks the next morning, lol! Good luck and best wishes!

8. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks! I forgot to say I did give them some sugared water as well. :)

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have found- several times- that my chicks weren't eating. The would peck at the food but were not really swallowing it. Esp. silkies and smaller chicks. I used a rolling pin and crushed up the chick crumbles up for their tiny mouths. They ate like vultures. Give it a try. I would also make a mush out of chick feed and offer it on my finger.

10. ryanlou

Mar 8, 2013
    So glad to hear it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by