Chicks keep burying the water feeder!

Goobsnho

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
Hi all,
Hoping you can help me and suggest a good water dispenser for my chicks please?
I've got 3 chicks about 11/12 weeks old & we've been using a small traditional plastic water dispenser, the one with the dish underneath. We definitely need to buy a different style, as they keep covering it in dirt when they're scratching around, so I end up cleaning it 4 or 5 times a day!
I was looking at a bucket with the nipples that you push in, but worried that they won't know what it is and dehydrate. I've also seen the one where they push the lever to dispense the water into a little cup, does anyone know if these are any good? Or would you just opt for a off the ground trough?
Any advice would be great.
Katie

Hello and :welcome, glad to have you join us. To receive a proper welcoming, you should post an intro under the New Members forum.

I use the plastic type ( I think you have since yours are too big for the baby quart size?), one gallon size and have no problems with them. But they are either hanging up or propped up on bricks/cinderblocks so the gals can drink but not walk or kick dirt/sand in them.

Hi welcome!
I like to raise the water up on an over turner drawer or some soft of " deck" they have to jump up to drink and the bedding stays down below .this one is on a 2x4 cause they are young and small
It will make a really big difference, trust me
IMG_2219.JPG

Doesn't take long to teach them how to use a nipple waterer, maybe 5 minutes. Just tap the nipple while the chickens watch and their curiosity will bring them over to peck at it too. Once one realized water drips out when the nipple is pecked at, the others will follow. Take away the old waterer (if you give them a choice, they'll always pick the waterer they're used to) and check back on them later to make sure they're actually using it, and that's about it.

The main advantage of any nipple watering system is the water stays cleaner, there's nothing to kick dirt into.

During hot weather I do provide additional sources of water to make sure they stay hydrated.

Doesn't take long to teach them how to use a nipple waterer, maybe 5 minutes. Just tap the nipple while the chickens watch and their curiosity will bring them over to peck at it too. Once one realized water drips out when the nipple is pecked at, the others will follow. Take away the old waterer (if you give them a choice, they'll always pick the waterer they're used to) and check back on them later to make sure they're actually using it, and that's about it.

The main advantage of any nipple watering system is the water stays cleaner, there's nothing to kick dirt into.

During hot weather I do provide additional sources of water to make sure they stay hydrated.
Good advice imo. Teaching them to use nipples also has the advantage of being able to medicate birds / keep broodies in a small space more easily

I've given up on the nipples for now. It's 113° in the summer out here and my chickens weren't able to drink enough to stay comfortable one drop at a time.

No joke, I use a bucket now. From the dollar store. It works AWESOME and I can dump ice in it on really hot days.

Hi welcome!
I like to raise the water up on an over turner drawer or some soft of " deck" they have to jump up to drink and the bedding stays down below .this one is on a 2x4 cause they are young and small
It will make a really big difference, trust me View attachment 1078819
Thanks so much for the simple too, it's worked a treat!

Horizontal water nipples work great. You don't push them in, you need to drill the correct size hole and screw them in. They will catch on real quick, take your old waterer out. If you use a sealed bucket, like mine, the water will not evaporate. so you might think they are not getting enough but they are. This bucket will lasts 2 weeks with 8 hens. I screw the gamma lid down then unscrew it a quarter turn so it can vent.
20170422_105015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom