Chicks keep dying under broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ponygal, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ponygal

ponygal Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    This is my first time trying to hatch chicks and we're not having much luck. Our broody hen (Maisy) had five eggs under her, all with different hatch dates because other hens were laying in her nest before we moved her. The first one was due to hatch on Monday, but it must have been a dud. The second one arrived yesterday, but we found it dead, next to the nest, with the yolk sac still attached. This morning we could hear peeping coming from underneath our broody, but this afternoon we found its lifeless body next to Maisy. It was still damp, but looked completely fine other than that. There are still two more eggs under her and they're due to hatch over the next few days. Is there anything I can do to help the babies survive? When I hear peeping under Maisy should I check under her and move any chicks to the brooder under a heat plate? What if they're still damp? Would a heat plate help dry them enough to fluff them up? Or should I just let nature take its course and hope the next two are ok?

Any advice at all?

2. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    There is the possibility of suffocation. The second you hear peeping under her get the chicks to a brooder. Your hen may also be 'surprised' by their being under her and she may be pecking them to death/crushing them.

3. ponygal

ponygal Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    I hadn't even thought of suffocation... Thanks - I'll do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by