Chicks keep laying on their side all stretched out. Are they ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, May 16, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    They get up when I disturb them and they don't seem to be breathing funny but they keep laying on their sides. I just got these a couple hours ago. I am still watching them eat and drink. They seem to be pooping just fine but their bums were a little dirty. Not so bad they could not poop just a little dirty.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They are fine! They like to do this to scare the crap out of us! Then, when we wake them, they give us the stink eye, like they were being perfectly normal!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Does there happen to be sun where they are doing this? They LOVE doing that in the sun.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Just a heat lamp. My husband kinda freaked out and thought I cooked them and turned the heat lamp off which is when they got up. If its normal I can let him off sentry duty with the heat lamp and the chicks.

5. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure there is an area where the heatlamp doesn't shine so they can get away from the heat if it is too much...
    ...just saying.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They could be figuring out what dust bathing is also. My daughters friend thought my bird was dying and she said all the others are pecking at her. I ran down and here he's just dust bathing and kicking up pine shavings and of course the others have to eat what ever lands on it's feather LOL Too funny. I wouldn't worry unless they don't get up when you go to pick them up.

7. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wait til you see them sleeping with their neck stretched out straight ahead of them. I thought mine were dead for sure when I saw that the first time.

8. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    [​IMG]

me too!

Just wait, they have a whole bag of tricks that they will slowly trot out over time [​IMG]

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Then there is that dead chick thing they do when they suddenly decide it is time to nap and just collapse. You'd swear they just dropped dead...quite scary.

10. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    What about the ones who sleep on their back with their feet straight up in the air? They look like they dropped dead and rigor mortis has set in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by