Chicks killing Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SportTees, May 8, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently took some new chicks out of the brooder and put them outside. They are picking on the older chicks. They have already killed 3 and were working on pecking a 4ths vent out. I recued it but its vent is protruding what can I do. As far as the mean chicks what can I do??
    I'm not sure what breed but heres a pic of them.
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    did you get those from a hatchery or ?

Aggressive chicks happen, especially if you mix age groups. If you don't want to keep them in a seperate brooder, just give'em away or cull'em.

3. SportTees

Quote:Ya but these are the younger chicks picking on the older ones. The chicks are outside not in a brooder. They came from TSC so they are hatchery birds. These are the only aggressive birds I have gotten so I thought they maybe some type of game bird ? [​IMG] I guess I'll have to rehome them because they gang up and attack the others

4. SportTees

Any ideas on what I can do about the one with its vent pecked and bleeding ?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Heh, who'da thunk it. Only "games" that hatcheries sell are Old English. The only hatchery I know of that has standard sized is Cackle. It'd help if we knew where your TSC got their chicks.

Not sure what to do about your injured ones. Just clean them up as best you can and see if they'll survive the night. There's a spray called Bluecote that helps deter pecking/picking. Plus it's got some antibacterial properties to it. Just spray it on the area and hope for the best.

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    rehoming them will be difficult- if these are so bad as chicks- they may be really awful as adults! Be sure to be honest with whomever takes them, as you do not want more hurt birds. I would cull them if they cannibal chicks.

Quote:Ya but these are the younger chicks picking on the older ones. The chicks are outside not in a brooder. They came from TSC so they are hatchery birds. These are the only aggressive birds I have gotten so I thought they maybe some type of game bird ? [​IMG] I guess I'll have to rehome them because they gang up and attack the others

7. SportTees

I don't know what to do with those chicks?? I have been researching and think they may be blue hen of delawares? From what I've read was a cockfighting bird which would explain why they acted that way.

8. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    can you post a picture of the chick with the vent issue. the answer is obvious that you have to separate the birds again.
    im sorry that your going through this. if it were me it would totally freak me out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by