chicks killing each other

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trishamonks, Aug 15, 2010.

1. trishamonks

trishamonks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    hi im new to chickens but even i think this is not normal i have {had } 20 chicks about 10 weeks old and cant understand why they trample each other i found 1 dead on saturday a young cockrel and just put it down to them huddling together as they are in a out door coop now but today i watched them squash each other and cant understand it its not cold here today but they just stood all over a hen even the other hens did i could understand if it was all the other cockrels {learning} as they go but if somebody else has any info on this i would be greatly interested to see if anyone can shed some light on this

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    How big of a space are keeping them in? Often they will trample each other when there isn't enough space.

3. trishamonks

Aug 8, 2010
    hi thanks for your reply theyr in a run thats 15 ft long by 15 acros so plenty space they just huddle together for some reason

4. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hm. When my little chickens went out to the big coop, they were scared of everything, and all huddled together for the first few days. Try putting them in a little bit smaller of a pen and let them tell you when they're ready for more room?

5. trishamonks

Aug 8, 2010
    hi thanks we had them in a smaller pen and i only changed them today i tought that they were short on space the pen they were in was 10 by 10 ft but today still the same with them i cant figure it out im confused on what i should do about it i cant keep all 18 seperated from each other .i dont mind the huddling together its cute but when they trample each other thats different matter

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Block the corners with cardboard or something to creat a curved effect rather than a corner. Try to "eliminate" the corners so that they have no place to crowd into. Chicks will generally crowd into corners in the evening or if they are chilled.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. trishamonks

Aug 8, 2010
    hi thats a good idea i hadnt tought of that and thinking of it now it was the corner that we found them in {the same corner}
    ill do that first thing in the morning see if that helps thank you

8. trishamonks

Aug 8, 2010
    hi sourland i just wanted to say thank you to you i went out last night and done what you suggested figured no point waiting on another little soul but anyway i done it and so far so good it worked i just wanted to let you know i really appreciated your input [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You're welcome. When I was a kid (long ago) I used to raise ringneck pheasants. They were really bad about piling up in the corners.After I "rounded off" the corners with sheet metal, no more got crushed. I figured the same thing would work for your birds.

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    That is good for me to know also. I haven't had many chicks do the trample thing, except for the meat birds. I will be sure to do this the next time i do the brooder thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by