1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks layed out sleeping okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TC, Feb 8, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    I have 31 4 day old chicks. I just had one PC die, not sure why. No poopy butt, or anything just stopped eating yesterday and faded out [​IMG] I isolated him, brought him inside, gave him a bit of sugar water w/ a dropper and he was just limp. He chirped once in a while but he died. Now I am all paranoid. I am constantly checking on chicks. They have clean filtered water, and medicated feed from Purina. At any given time, there will be some sleeping, and some wandering around eating and exploring. Sometimes they are ALL sleeping usually under the lamp, but not cramped under the lamp. Is it normal for some chicks to just completely lay out heads down sleeping? I watch them, and they snooze for 3 or 4 minutes then get up and drink, wander, eat. But the crashed out sleeping thing worries me a bit since I just lost one little guy/girl.

2. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Sorry for your loss... They gave me quite a scare when I first had them too. I found them all laying still as if they're dead, but when I touched them they wake up and stare at me... They're now 3 and a half weeks old. Have fun, they'll grow really quickly.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

There was a very funny thread about sleeping chicks a few weeks ago. It was called something like: "Someone should warn us chicks sleep like this!" There were lots of pictures of chicks sleeping in funny positions, looking dead most of the time.

As for the one that died, I think that just happens sometimes. Not every chick is "right" on the inside and sometimes nature takes it's course. I lost 1 chick, and I almost lost another but somehow he snapped out of it and started eating and drinking again.

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
  5. chicken_dude

chicken_dude Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    For the first three weeks I always give my baby chicks some chopped boiled eggs. Chop the shell and all. This seems to make them grow like crazy. In addition I only give newly hatched chicks sugar water the first two days after hatching. Any longer and it clogs them up with sticky feces.

6. bid

bid Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    I was a little worried about my chicks yesterday too. They were sleeping a lot and really soundly too. I found the thread TXmom mentioned when I did a search and decided they're probably like all babies, they sleep a lot. Then I remembered how you get to longing for the "good old days", when they slept a lot lol. Mine are a good bit more active today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by