Chicks laying down and dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cindilong, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Cindilong

Cindilong In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2019
    Hello! I've raised chicks 8 to 12 at a time for many years. This year I bought 35 from Ideal Poultry. Five different breeds, all layers. They arrived on Friday, shipped on Wednesday, last week, so that puts them at I guess 8 ish days old today.

All alive in their shipping box. All active and eating and drinking in their brooder, a big Rubbermaid water trough, clean, never had chicks before. Temp under light was 95. They seemed fine, no huddling, no venturing deep into the cold end but plenty of action on the periphery of the warm end and right under the light.

Second day, two were dead. Two were laying down while the rest were active. The laying down ones would perk up when I'd dip their beaks or put a drop of water on their beaks. Wouldn't eat when dipped in feed. They were laying in a normal sleeping position, flat on bellies, heads just looking straight. Wings slightly spread, so I thought maybe too hot Moved to cooler spot, they walk back to warmer spot and lay back down.

No tremors. No pasty butt. Breathing seems normal. When they do walk, when I move them and they still have enough energy to move back, they stand up and walk normally. No wet eyes. No unusual droppings anywhere. Then they die.

The next day, same thing, one dies early, two die later, same thing next day, next day. Eight of the 35 have died like this so far. Each breed. The live ones are acting totally normally. Two are working on dying right now. Here's a pic of how they lay around before dying.

I've read so much and this doesn't seem like anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Eggcessive likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your losses. It is still cold in some places which makes shipping chicks a bit dangerous when they are in transit for 2 days. Shipping stress, hypothermia, and dehydration can occur. Sometimes there can be a bad batch at the hatchery. Have the ones that died been different breeds or the same? Have any chicks had pasty butt where the droppings have dried on their vents? Many shipped chicks will, and that needs to be checked for daily for the first 10 days.

All you can do is make sure that they are all drinking and eating, and I would get Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell, and give each of them 2 drops each daily until all seem strong. Try making one small bowl of wet chick feed which can get more water into them, in addition to the normal feed. Turn the temp down to 85 since they are 9 days old. I prefer to start with 90, and decrease by 5 each week. Rubbermaid containers can get warm. I hope the rest do well, and am really sorry that you have lost so many. Will they replace those chicks at Ideal?

Cindilong and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your losses.
    Can you post some photos of the whole brooder?
    I agree with @ButtonquailGirl14 I would give them all 1-2drops Poultry Nutri-Drench (direct dose).

With chicks that age - shipping stress, failure to thrive and Coccidiosis are a few of the more common causes of death.

I would try the Nutri-Drench to see if they perk up.

5. Cindilong

Cindilong In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2019
    Thanks. Ones from each breed have died No pasty butt. I wasn't sure about temp bc it's 75 in the cold end and nobody goes there for long, they stay in the 85 to 95 area. Here's a better pic of the whole brooder on day 3. The other light isn't on, it's just flipped over their wall temporarily while I set up a cage for the older chicks. I'll get some nutri drench. The company did refund me for the ones that died soon (5). I will call about the others today. Thanks!

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks good. I hope you don‘t lose any more. That is good you haven’t seen any pasty butt. I have always had a couple that got it a few times even with overnight shipping in early April. I notice so many at the feedstores in bins with pasty butt that I always point it out to clerks, but it never helps. After a few days of the NutriDrench, which can also be put in the water, as well as given orally to very sick ones, you can stop it. Prolonged use can cause runny poops. Good luck with the chicks.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Your brooder looks fine to me.
    I hope the nutri-drench helps.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Cindilong like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: