Chicks learning what their wings are... read please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mhoward92, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    So today i decided to make a little quick temporary run for my chicks (indoors) while i cleaned the brooder. i let them into an open run (no top) and they were fine.... when i put some oatmeal in there for them to nibble on while i was cleaning they suddenly went crazy and started flying around and attacking each other. they would jump in the air and kick each other in the head with their feet just like roos do when they fight!!! at first i thought they were playing but then i realized they were no where near playing. they were no longer cherping they were screaming!! I have never had ANY of my chicks do this before. Does anyone know what im talking about or ever experienced it?? funny thing was they didnt even eat the oatmeal.... so i dont think they were fighting over that.

--Thanks Mitch

2. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    maybe fighting over the yummy oatmeal?

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*sounds like somebody got in a sizzle about something!! Maybe a bug??

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  4. mhoward92

Oct 5, 2007
    yea, im not shure. it was odd but once i put them back in the brooder they calmed down and were fine -- in fact they were sleeping about 5 minutes after that...

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This kind of posturing and chest bumping is very normal. It is part of establishing their dominance and finding their place in the flock. you will see it off and on as they get bigger then it tapers off. I find it very funny to watch them posturing and strutting around one minute and the next they are flopped out sleeping.

6. mhoward92

Oct 5, 2007
    yup it was a laugh when they were sleeping. it was just odd for me because i have never had baby chicks do this. probabally because I usually only have 5 at a time or less. i have 26 because I ordered them instead of hatched. so i was a little worried at first but i figure they couldent really harm each other since their little claws are like a babys fingernails..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by