Chicks leaving coop?

LynnTXchickenmom

Chirping
Aug 22, 2022
1st time chicken owner here. We moved our RIR chicks to the coop 2 weeks ago. They are 5 weeks old and have only been in the coop. Today I opened the pop door and left it open for 5 hours. Not one chick came out into the run. I’m assuming that if I do that daily eventually they will come out. Food and water is currently only in the coop as they were confined there while my son completed the run. It’s very large, but we blocked off most of it to give them a small run as a start until they go in the coop at night by themselves. Should I move the food and water outside or provide a second water and food area outside while also providing it inside? Thanks.

1st time chicken owner here. We moved our RIR chicks to the coop 2 weeks ago. They are 5 weeks old and have only been in the coop. Today I opened the pop door and left it open for 5 hours. Not one chick came out into the run. I’m assuming that if I do that daily eventually they will come out. Food and water is currently only in the coop as they were confined there while my son completed the run. It’s very large, but we blocked off most of it to give them a small run as a start until they go in the coop at night by themselves. Should I move the food and water outside or provide a second water and food area outside while also providing it inside? Thanks.
We have a second food and water source in the run. I put in an electric door that can be set to open at a specific time or at "sunrise" and close at "sunset". It took our chicks three days to figure out when sunset was and what that meant. Now, about 20 minutes before the door closes they get back in the coop. In the mornings they wait at the door and race down the ramp when it opens. The very first time getting in at night 3 were left outside but we always check to make sure all got back in the coop at night. They don't miss a single night.

Can we have a update?

Back
Top Bottom