1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks left alone? Water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzz, Apr 28, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Hey everyone.
    The day is almost here. On friday I get my two sultan chicks. I am also leaving Friday to go to a mini rabbit convention in colombus and I will be there until sunday. I will be able to take care of the chicks on friday before I leave and sunday when I come back. Will they be okay for one day? I know food and water is not an issue. Nor is predators as they will be in the garage. I am sure we will have someone to check in on them but really nothing else.

I already have their "chick cage" which is a medium plastic bin with sawdust, and their feeders and waterers and I have the lamp set up. I just havent put any water or feed in yet of course.

I was also reccomended to put a teaspoon of sugar in their water, should I do that? Is there anything else I should give them other than their chick feed (after an hour?) and their water (immediately) after they arrive and before I leave?

I dont have anything for them except, shelter, chick starter feed, water, and their containers.

Do they HAVE to have their grit?

Just want to make sure they have the BEST possible chance of surviving. I really cant wait to watch them grow up.

Oh and we finally got the exact measurements of the day run, its 20 feet wide by 60 feet long, we put the 5ft welded wire on yesterday.

2. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Anyone?

3. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    They will be fine for the day as long as you have water, food, warmth for them. Sounds like you are ready. The biggest problem will be they like to mess up their water and food. SO, try to raise it just a little off the ground to keep them from depositing their waste into it or scratching the bedding into it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi fuzz - I'll try to answer your Qs. I'm assuming your sultans will be three days old or less, so my answers will reflect that assumption.

1. They should be okay for one day as long as they have food and water and as long as you know the temperature will remain between 90-95 the entire time. You can test this by setting up the lamp before they get here and checking to see if the temp goes down much at night or up much during the day.

2. Unless they've been in transit a long time or seem weak upon arrival, I don't put sugar in the water - just plain clean water. I also have food immediately available. This should be available to them 24/7, so make sure they have enough food and water to last while you're gone. I suggest raising the containers off the ground to the height of their backs to keep them from scratching their litter into the water and food and mucking it up.

3. If you're only feeding them chick starter, no need for grit. Chick starter has everything required. Introduce grit only if/when you start feeding them treats.

Their run size sounds like heaven for two clucks - plenty of room! It sounds to me like you're ready and you'll do great! Best of luck to you and have fun at the rabbit convention!

5. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I ordered 8 but they are all comming on different days, June for the 4 Barred Rocks and no date for the silkies but yes, the pen is HUGE.

Thanks so much for the help and assurance. They will have enough food and water and I will have my uncle check on them when he comes to take care of the rabbits.

Thanks so much!! I learn so much everyday [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like you are doing fine. Yes, please, save the grit for later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by