Chicks leg got pecked off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KrisandLuna, Sep 10, 2016.

1. KrisandLuna

KrisandLuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    I just got home and my 2 week old was trapped inbetween her cage and my older quail. They had pecked her leg off, bone broken right at the back.

She isn't bleeding much and is very alert, but sleeping. I was going to go to the vet but they were closed to euthanized her. But now seeing her, I feel that she could pull through if I keep her clean and healthy.

I was going to get aspirin and some first aid stuff to keep on top of the wound and help it heal.

Any tips? I will euthanized her if she stops eating, drinking, moving etc.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Tough call. I don't have advice but I wish your bird the best!

3. KrisandLuna

Mar 17, 2016
    Just did a first aid run and got some aspirin to help with the pain. Mealworms for food and she's drinking happily with assistance.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Clean her wound with betadine or spray with Vetericyn. Plain triple antibiotic or bacitracin are good for wound care twice a day. I probably would not give aspirin, since it can cause bleeding. Offer fluids, and adding chick vitamins and probiotics would help with immunity. I would give her a chance if you have the time to deal with some extra care. Placing her in a small crate with food and water near the others would keep her safe while she heals. Good luck.

5. KrisandLuna

Mar 17, 2016

Thank you, would I be able to find those antiseptic sprays at a tack store?

The aspirin seems to help her breath slower which I'm assuming means less pain. I'll take a picture next time I change the dressing. The bone is sticking out a bit.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, betadine or povidone iodine is found at feed stores and Walmart in the first aid aisle. Vetericyn Wound Spray is usually found at most feed stores.

7. KrisandLuna

Mar 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

Good news so far is her appetite is increasing immensely, activity is as well. She had a few minutes burst of hopping around this morning when changing her dressing,( chasing a worm).

The wound is scabbing over lightly, the bone is still stuck out a bit, but I'm hoping it all scabs over it.

Do you think a vet would be able to chop off the bone and sew the tip of it back in the muscle?

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Too be honest infection of an exposed bone is a death sentence for the Chick...
    Putting it down might be its best option..?

9. KrisandLuna

Mar 17, 2016
    But, what if there isn't any infection. It's not guaranteed that infection will set in.

However, you do have a point, if it does happen and her welfare goes down then I will, but it's impossible to now when she is eating, drinking, chasing worms and crickets, going back to a warm spot and sleeping.

She's with me 24/7 for care right now and will continue until she is healed or I have to euthanize.

10. KrisandLuna

Mar 17, 2016
    Well, she started going downhill at around 5-6pm, wouldn't eat as much, stopped drinking, wanted to sleep more, and her breathing started to become deep. I decided at 2am to euthanize her with the co2 method.
    THAT BACKFIRED AND WAS HORRIBLE.

She panicked and was gasping and struggling while looking at me to help, I got her out after a few moments hoping she would fall asleep. I don't know how anyone can cull them, she looks so much more peaceful in a wool sock on my chest. Tomorrow she will goto the vet to be put asleep properly and without panic (I hope).

She's in pain. I can see it now. Now it's the right time.

I would never wish this feeling on anyone. I feel so guilty that I did this all to her, if I had of been more careful and put her further away and checked on her just an hour or so earlier, she wouldn't have been tortured.

Mind you, those adults are being rehomed tomorrow as I can't look at them ever again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by